Whether you are considering an apprenticeship, a certificate, a diploma or a degree program, post-secondary education costs money and you need to be prepared for the expense. Scholarships can be a great way to help finance the expense. It's important to note that scholarships are typically based on conditional acceptance from a post-secondary institution, as scholarships are meant to help pay for school. You do not have to be fully accepted into a program at the time you apply for scholarships, but you do not get the money until you actually attend school.

Deadlines are just around the corner!

Loran Award - A completed application needs to be submitted to Ms. Halter by Oct 1 in order to be considered as a sponsored applicant by Notre Dame. A brief interview will follow prior to Notre Dame making a selction. Students not sponsored by Notre Dame are still eligible to apply for this award as direct pool candidates (application for direct pool applicants TBD.)

TD Scholarships for Community Leadership - Applications open September 4

Schulich Leader Award - A completed application needs to be submitted to Ms. Halter by Jan 6 in order to be considered for nomination by Notre Dame. Please include the following in your application: universities you wish to attend, your top 3 achievements (academic or other), 600 word essay demonstrating why you should win, optional 250 word essay to outline extenuating circumstances, short answer to identify where you see yourself in 10 years, names of 2 references that will supply letters if successful , copy of detailed academic report. A brief interview will follow prior to Notre Dame making a selction. Note: Students considering a career as a medical practitioner and students considering programs in Biological Sciences are not eligible for this award.

Check out the Scholarships, Awards & Bursaries list to find more!

Scholarships, Awards & Bursaries List

Scholarships, Awards & Bursaries

Use this list to get started on your search for scholarships, awards & bursaries. Use PDF zoom button to make information easier to read. Refer to the links provided on this sheet to verify the criteria and application information for each award.

Getting it Right

It is easy for your scholarship applications to get over looked.  Check out the ScholarTree blog below and avoid common mistakes on your scholarship applications...

The 6 Most Common Mistakes When Applying to Scholarships

Additional Sources


Alberta Learning Information Services (ALIS)

Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Board Scholarships

Alberta Student Aid

Alberta Blue Cross

Alberta Teacher's Association Local #80

Scholarships Canada

Scholar Tree 

Yconic (formerly Student Awards)

Student Scholarships


Queen Esther Education Foundation

Red Deer Regional Catholic Education Foundation

Red Deer Regional Health Foundation

The Leonard Foundation

Universities Canada

CWB Welding Foundation

Indigenous Scholarships/Bursaries/Awards:

Nelson's Scholarship for Indigenous Students 

Lynx Indigenous Career Connection

Aboriginal Learning Links

Alberta Métis and Non-Status Indian Bursary Program

Alberta Blue Cross Entrance Scholarship for Indigenous Students

Indigenous Bursaries Search Tool

Belcourt Brosseau Métis Awards

Indspire Building Brighter Futures: Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards

ATCO Indigenous Education Awards Program

The Rebecca Kelln Metis Bursary Fund 

Rupertsland Institute (RLI) Post Secondary Funding 

The Canada Post Aboriginal Education Incentive Awards

TransAlta Bursary Program

RBC Indigenous Student Awards Program

Horatio Alger Indigenous Achievement Scholarship

Indigenous Arts & Stories


GoodCall guide

Disabled World

Disability Awards 

Voice of Albertans with Disabilities


Alberta Schools' Athletic Association

Softball Alberta

Ringette Canada

Post-Secondary Entrance Awards

For students planning to attend post-secondary programs in the fall, entrance awards are available through the institution you will be attending. Entrance awards can be a great source of money to pay for school. Check with your institution directly for information as deadlines and application processes vary by school. Good luck!