What is a Learning Commons?
A Learning Commons is a library embracing 21st Century Skills. It's a physical and virtual space that allows students to be engaged and deepen their learning by critically thinking, problem-solving, collaborating, innovating and communicating. The goal is to broaden student learning beyond the classroom and community. For more information, visit the Alberta Education website.
Virtual Learning Commons
Want to see more of your Learning Commons? Access the Virtual Learning Commons here.
Library Catalogue (Destiny Discover)
How to access:
- Click here.
- Select 'Alberta' under 'Location.'
- Enter the school name.
- Click the 'Red Deer Google' box to sign in with your Google account.
- Resource (books, calculators, chromebooks, etc.) checkouts
- Research tutorials
- Writing and citation help
- Reader's advisory and book lists
- 3D printing and design help
- Design software help
- Colouring table
Programs & Clubs
- Book Club
- Board Game Café
- Dungeons & Dragons Club
- Long Night Against Procrastination
- Speak Out: Student Poetry Slam
- 3D printer
- Design Centre
- Desktop computers
- TV screens for collaboration
- VR Station
What's New in the Learning Commons
Our fiction books are now organized on the shelves by their genre:
Action & Adventure
- Espionage, sports, superheroes, adventures around the world, and more.
Adversity & Overcoming
- Mental and physical health, grief, trauma, death, social and political topics (such as racism, sexism, immigration, etc.), and more.
Fantasy & Supernatural
- High and low fantasy and stories about supernatural creatures such as werewolves, vampires, ghosts, etc.
Historical & War Fiction
- History stories, classics, stories about worlds all over the world, and more.
Mystery & Horror
- Crime, detectives, the unknown, monsters, and more.
Relationships & Identity
- Romantic relationships, friendships, interpersonal relationships, and discovering one's self.
Sci-Fi & Dystopian
- Space, advanced technology, dystopian and post-apocalypse.