What is a Learning Commons?
A Learning Commons is a library embracing 21st Century Skills. It's a physical and virtual space that allows students to be engaged and deepen their learning by critically thinking, problem-solving, collaborating, innovating and communicating. The goal is to broaden student learning beyond the classroom and community. For more information, visit the Alberta Education website.
- Ms. Dinan
Library Catalogue (Destiny Discover)
How to access:
- Click here.
- Select 'Alberta' under 'Location.'
- Enter the school name.
- Click the 'Red Deer Google' box to sign in with your Google account.
Virtual Learning Commons
Want to see more of your Learning Commons? Access the Virtual Learning Commons here.
- Resource (books, calculators, chromebooks, etc.) checkouts
- Research tutorials
- Writing and citation help
- Reader's advisory and book lists
- 3D printing and design help
- Design software help
- Colouring table
Programs & Clubs
- 3D printer
- Design Centre
- Desktop computers
- TV screens for collaboration
Our fiction books are now organized on the shelves by their genre:
Action & Adventure
- Espionage, sports, superheroes, adventures around the world, and more.
Adversity & Overcoming
- Mental and physical health, grief, trauma, death, social and political topics (such as racism, sexism, immigration, etc.), and more.
Fantasy & Supernatural
- High and low fantasy and stories about supernatural creatures such as werewolves, vampires, ghosts, etc.
Historical & War Fiction
- History stories, classics, stories about worlds all over the world, and more.
Mystery & Horror
- Crime, detectives, the unknown, monsters, and more.
Relationships & Identity
- Romantic relationships, friendships, interpersonal relationships, and discovering one's self.
Sci-Fi & Dystopian
- Space, advanced technology, dystopian and post-apocalypse.